Daniel J. Mays, shareholder, practices in the areas of tax-exempt organization law, intellectual property, contracts, and general business. Mr. Mays started working for the firm in 2007, and his practice involves assisting tax-exempt organizations with initial and on-going legal matters, providing trademark and copyright counsel, and drafting contracts. He also handled matters relating to technology including software licensing, data privacy law, and website policies. Mr. Mays has formerly served on the board of directors of Cornerstone Counseling. Mr. Mays earned his Juris Doctor from Baylor University and bachelor’s degree from Calvin College.
Speaking and Teaching Engagements
- Interviewed by Legal Affairs Correspondent Mary Reichard about defamation law on the podcast “The World and Everything in It” (July 2017).
- BootCamp for New Nonprofit CEOs: Bylaws Roundtable Discussion, sponsored by the Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management (July 2014).
- Adjunct instructor teaching Business Law at Wheaton College (Spring 2008).
- “Government Regulations.” Illinois Not-for-Profit Corporations. IICLE. ed 2017.
- “Courts Illuminate the Criteria for Tax Exemption,” Taxation of Exempts (September/October 2011), by Bea, David L. and Mays, Daniel J.
- Regular contributor to the educational articles appearing on the law firm website beavanenberk.com